Oooh, hello you!
Thanks for stopping by…
This blog charts the journey and adventures of a rather scrumptious (if I do say so myself) and incredibly inspiring little girl called Hannah, who has a rare genetic condition called Cornelia de Lange Syndrome and whose favourite food is broccoli (hence the title!)…and the experiences and observations of her extraordinarily proud mama (me) – who doesn’t claim to be a writer by any means, but just wanted to ‘have a bash’ at blogging.
On My Kid Loves Broccoli we aim to:
- Help other parents and carers (especially those affected by CdLS) just starting out on their own journey to see that there can actually be life after ‘diagnosis’ – and if we can give hope to just a handful of people, then we’ll be very happy bunnies.
- Encourage people to ‘think outside the box’ and maybe, along the way, gently help alter attitudes towards children with additional needs – because in our world, kids are kids, regardless of whether they have a disability.
- Provide a little insight about what it’s actually like to be a parent/carer.
- Get a bit silly every now and again – because, well, let’s face it, life’s too short to be serious all the time. Ain’t it?
- Appease friends who’ve positively insisted that my ‘rants’ must be included, purely because it makes them laugh – but I’ll try not to make a habit of it, honest! *wink*
- Share our journey and maybe (hopefully) have a bit of a brag every now and again about Hannah’s achievements – well, it’d be rude not to, wouldn’t it?
Possibly long winded at times (don’t say I didn’t warn you!), almost definitely grammatically incorrect (but hey, you can’t have everything, right?) and unreservedly heartfelt and painfully honest.
We’re happy to share some of our life with you. So, come on in (but please wipe your feet – it’s the house rules), make yourself comfy whilst I put the kettle on/grab the biscuits…and join us on our occasionally bumpy journey, with all its twists and turns and without the aid of a sat nav! *gulps*
If you have a loved one who’s been diagnosed with CdLS and you’ve just stumbled across us, please come say “Hi”. We don’t bite. Erm…well…actually…Hannah does, sometimes!
We live in the UK and the sun shines every day (Okay, so, that last bit isn’t true, sadly! but the rest of this blog is)
Annie (and Hannah) xoxo
p.s. We have a Facebook page too! 🙂
Disclaimer: Views are my own. I’m not a medical professional , an expert in Cornelia de Lange syndrome or in anything else related to this blog – other than being Hannah’s mama…that’s my own individual expertise (ish) – I still get that wrong sometimes too. I blog about our life and can’t give advice on anything (apologies!) and none of my words should be taken as such (other than the bit about never giving up…I think I’m OK to say that, perhaps). So I’d strongly suggest that if you need help, you seek out a suitably qualified professional…there is help out there, but sometimes you just gotta search for it.
Oh, and I don’t receive payment to endorse products or by sharing my posts on other sites (my choice)…although I certainly wouldn’t turn my nose up at a book deal! Nudge, nudge, wink wink. Well, that house in Cornwall isn’t going to pay for itself, is it?
“Follow my blog” graphic courtesy of photofunia.com
Lovely header photo: Courtesy of the incredibly nice, rather talented, International award winning Photographer – Janet Broughton.